Call for Applications!
South African People’s Health University
02 – 06 December 2013
University of the Western Cape
The People’s Health Movement of South Africa will be hosting the first South African People’s Health University. This course is aimed at health activists who want to develop a deeper understanding of:
– The social and political factors that cause ill health
– The principles of primary health care
– Why inequality is perpetuated in our health systems
– The basics of health economics
– The NHI proposal and the challenges of making it work for all
– History and future campaigning for the right to health
The course will be conducted over a five day period in an interactive, creative way and led by local health activists and academics.
The People’s Health Movement of South Africa hereby invites you to apply for the SAPHU.
Candidates will be considered on the basis of:
– Their current involvement in community struggles either around health or around the social determinants affecting health such as water, sanitation, housing, a safe environment, good work, etc.
– A commitment to doing a pre course evaluation of the health of their local communities.
– A commitment to becoming a health systems trainer on completion of the course.
– A clear plan for putting the knowledge gained to use in their local communities.
– A commitment to integrate campaigning for the Right to Health within their current area activism, whether in the health sector or the social determinants of health
– Good communication skills and multilingualism will be considered favourably
– PHM SA members who are active will be at an advantage.
Request application forms from Tinashe email southafrica.phm@gmail.
Deadline for applications: 31 October 2013
Accepted delegates will be notified by 17th November on the outcome of their submission, including logistical details for the meeting.
For more information please contact our office and speak to Tinashe 021 447 5770