The People’s Health Movement of South Africa will be hosting the second South African People’s Health University at the University of the Western Cape in December 2014. This course is aimed at community-based health workers (CBHWs), including Community Health Workers and Community Care Workers, who want to develop a deeper understanding of:
Key issues facing CBHWs in South Africa today including working conditions and psychosocial support
- The principles of primary health care (PHC)
- Developments in health policy in the context of the NHI proposal and re-engineering of PHC
- The social and political factors that cause ill health
- The potential role of CBHWs in PHC with a focus on advocacy around community participation and intersectoral collaboration
The course has been developed jointly by organisations that support CBHWs, namely the SA Community Care Workers’ Forum, Sinani, Sophiatown Psychological Services, the Wellness Foundation and the Women on Farms Project. It will be conducted over a five day period in an interactive, participatory way and led by local health activists and academics.
PHM-SA hereby invites you to apply for the SAPHU.
- Candidates will be considered on the basis of:
- Their current work as CBHWs or involvement in support for CBHWs
- Their commitment towards putting the knowledge gained to use in their local communities
Members of the organisations listed above and their affiliates will be at an advantage.
- Deadline for receiving Application Forms: 15 November 2014
- Download and complete the forms here
- Send completed forms to Tinashe Njanji: email@example.com
- If you have questions phone Tinashe at 078 831 5809